by on Sep.25, 2010, under Management Information Systems
Every company has a corporate plan prepared and periodically revised. Document plan known as the business plan is in principle outlines the company’s strategy, with all the advantages and limitations of resources, in the process of achieving its vision and mission. Said to be a strategy for not only contains the global description of the things you want to achieve in the long term, but contains a summary of planning and development of resources-owned resources, such as finance, people, assets, and so forth. Information Systems Management Strategy is a sub-part of a business plan, particularly for companies where the role of information systems considered to be very critical for organizational survival. There are three major pillars that must be considered in preparing the strategy, namely: Information System Strategy (IS strategy), Information Technology Strategy (IT Strategy), and Information Management Strategy (IM Strategy).
Points that should be considered carefully in the preparation of the IS Strategy is how to define the need for information systems that support the needs of corporate business in general. Each company has unique needs for information. The need is not only limited to the types and characteristics of information only, but further more about the relevance of information produced, the speed of information flow from one section to another within the organization, the quality of the accuracy of the information, the target of the economic value of information obtained, the cost limits in information processing, the structure of the user’s information, and so forth. To ensure that information can flow properly within an organization, so it can support any corporate plan that had been developed, need to develop an enterprise information system. Seeing that in the information system involved a lot of internal components of the organization and other external components, it needs a special strategy to ensure the occurrence of “the flow of information” effective and good quality.
In this modern era, the main components needed to produce a system of effective and efficient information is information technology. Information technology is a domain of the products of the development of computer science and telecommunications. In fact, there are currently many types of products related to information technology in general can be divided into two: hardware and software. In the ranks of hardware known products such as computers, printers, monitors, modems, routers, hubs, scanners, hard disks, disk drives, CD-ROM devices, and so forth, while the ranks of software known terms such as operating system , database, spreadsheet applications, word processor, protocol, and so forth. In accordance with the type and function, each product class is still divided into various types of variations that always develop from time to time in accordance with the advancement of existing technology. The phenomenon is seen in connection with this is berlombanya thousands of companies to create products that can be used as international standards in their respective class. From this fact alone is visible, that the company needs a specific strategy at least in choosing which technology will be purchased and utilized to develop systems for the required information. Another reason is the need for IT Strategy is due to the presence of a particular risk will be borne by the company in connection with the selection of a particular technology. Examples are as follows:
• development of information technology so fast (growing exponentially) so that the age of a particular product is very short because replaced with the new version better;
• For one type of product class, there are thousands and thousands of vendors who sell them with advantages and disadvantages of quality products and services acquired;
• information technology system consists of hundreds of different components are independent to each other on the one hand, while on the other hand has a very high dependence;
• Companies can view this information technology infrastructure from multiple angles of approaches, such as information technology as a cost center, profit center, investment center, or service centers each have different ways of handling;
• information technology have significantly built to answer the need for information that is defined in the IS Strategy with the record companies still consider the limitations (such as investment and human resource capabilities), and so forth
Say IS Strategy and IT Strategy has been prepared properly. Then who will carry it out? Had one special teams have been selected (for example, or the Information Technology Division Information Technology Consultant), how the strategy to be effective? This is where the need for third strategy is the IM Strategy. In the IM Strategy must be spelled out how the company’s strategy to target the establishment of a reliable information system to utilisasikan existing information technology can be applied in the operational (management information system), both for the short term, medium term and long term, in line with the growing company in the future. The pressure strategy here not only on who will be responsible for implementation of information systems, but further on how the system has been built can be maintained and developed in the future.
From the brief exposure to these three strategies can be seen fairly close linkage relationship among (Earl, 1989):
1. IS Strategy is more emphasis on the demand side of the company will need a system that can ensure the creation of efficient information flow and effective; where the IT strategy within the supply side will answer this challenge in the form of determining the required technological specifications; and IM Strategy will describe the road must be taken to target the development and implementation of information systems can become a reality; and
2. IS Strategy is more emphasis on the relationship between information and business needs of companies, while the focus of IT Straegy more emphasis on technologies that should be owned and developed, and the IM Strategy oriented management techniques that will be used.
Things to remember for practitioners of management, either directly involved in the manufacture of the three strategies above as well as the party affected by the making of this strategy are:
1. The business environment in this modern era in such a dynamic so that the company should always perform a review of its business strategy on a regular basis and make necessary revisions;
2. Between the three of these strategies have a very close relationship so that changes on any one strategy will greatly affect other strategies; and
3. Strategies must be implemented operationally, so there must pengejawantahannya in the form of tactical actions everyday.
In other words, the ongoing challenges the company management is to create a strategy that in addition to being easy to implement, can be quickly and easily adaptable (flexible) with any changes, whether caused by internal components as well as environmental aspects of the other external.
source : http://www.indrajit.org.